fat tax forum…

What if nothing exists and we’re all in somebody’s dream? Or what’s worse, what if only that fat guy in the third row exists?
– Woody Allen

Moodle and the potential benefits that it offers students, teachers, schools and parents are no secret in the EduBlogging community.  It is also not a new phenomenon; but it is new at CMS and truth be told we are only in a trial period – teachers who have volunteered.  It is major goal of mine; as it supports my position representing the Tri-Association on the World Virtual Schools project.  I have thus monitored this launch pretty closely and will continue to so.  I am hearing things that really make me feel motivated:  “why can’t all of our classes be like this,” “this class is so cool,” and “i didn’t know chatting could be be part of school”.   Words that make the work so worthwhile.
Yes there are great teachers piloting the project, yes their classes would be “cool” without this online environment because of the way the set up their questioning with real world problems that uncover the  curriculum, but it is no less great to hear.  Recognizing that this is still just the start of the school year (when motivation is at its highest) i want you to take a second and read the posts in the AP Economics Forum.  I was really impressed with the level of thinking going on so early in the course.  As Mr. McCollough says in his final post students addressed the social concerns while staying focused on the economic issues.  Great stuff!  If you make it that far also look at the incentives program in the course – quite original and the students LOVE it!
Kind of the same simple equation i have been discussing here:
real problem+real questions+real discussion/real people (aka students) = real learning and understanding